Friday, March 16, 2012

Kigali Highlights

0



I'm leaving Rwanda today so thought I would compose a quick list of highlights of my week in Kigali – besides Kigali being a highlight in its own right…

-       Blowing it out doing karaoke in some random pizzeria/bar. 80% Africans, 20% Mzungus. Feeling like the color of my skin didn’t matter for the first time in in a loooong time. FUN!
-       Cutting my ankle with Marshell and Annika so that we could be “blood sisters”… (Do 33 year olds do this??? Apparently so.)
-       Running in Kigali – trying to figure out what the kids were thinking when they laughed at me as I ran past them. (They were fascinated by my legs – not sure if it was the chub, the BRIGHTNESS, or the fact that I may have been showing too much leg for this part of the world…)
-       Going to run an errand at the UTC (shopping center) and bumping into choir practice outside the church. (I’m staying in the old nun’s quarters of the church.) Stopping to listen and being invited to participate. I did. :-) :-) :-)
-       Dinner with six very friendly, very brave men at the Hotel des Mille Collines: Security officers for the UN in Darfur. Each of them from a different country: Zambia, South Africa, Ghana, Democratic Republic of Congo, India, and Rwanda. Talking to them for hours about politics and the value (or lack of) human life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment