Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Tonight...

0

I have electricity!

I walked my way out of the village tonight to a mzungu restaurant close to the Nile and was graced with easy conversation, decent food, and this stunning sunset. 


On my way home - walking in darkness, but with a full moon that rivaled the sunset for beauty, I called my parents (and proceeded to get disconnected about 9 times - awesome Ugandan phone!). As I walked I passed at least 5 or 6 of my students, also walking in the darkness, without shoes, or lights... most of them carrying a child on their back or a bucket of water on their heads... 

Mom - the one with the kid on her back is the one you talked to... :) So stinkin' cute!
As far as teaching goes... I have a newfound respect for teachers. I am loving it though. The education system is VERY different in Uganda (I will have a post on this, if not a dissertation). I am teaching English in the P5 class (11ish year olds, 130 in the class), the P1 class (5ish year olds, 105 in the class) and PE for P2 (7ish year olds) and P3 (9ish year olds). I have absolutely fallen in love with the kids. Especially the little ones. They don't have a clue what I'm saying, but they're faces are so bright and happy. (Yes, I have selected a few that I will be stealing to come home with me...) 

Things are going well here. I'm starting to figure out relationships, understanding what people are saying when they talk to me, and finding my groove... 

0 comments:

Post a Comment